With an increasing student population in Laramie in the 1950s, the Albany County School District began efforts to construct a new high school to serve the growing needs of the community. In 1957, the architectural firm of Hitchcock & Hitchcock was hired to design a new high school. The site of 11th Street between Reynolds Street and Shield Street was selected, and Spiegelberg Lumber & Construction Company was hired to build the school. Construction began by 1959, and the school was completed in time for the 1960 school year. The first graduating class was the Class of 1961. As Laramie continued to grow, the school district once again had to consider a new facility. As construction of the new facility at the east end of the city neared completion, the final graduation occurred on May 29, 2016, marking the end of a total of 57 classes to graduate from the 11th Street School. The current facility was dedicated on August 11, 2016, with the first graduating class being the Class of 2017. At the same time, demolition commenced on the old school, and by August 2017, all that remained were piles of rubble.
The photos below are from Box 98, Folder 9C of the Allan H. Krafczik Collection. Krafczik operated the Easel Studio, located at 5th and Grand, from the 1950s through the 1980s.
– John Waggener, Reference Archivist