More collections have been archived and processed, so here’s another round of finding aids we’ve published so you can see what’s been added to our collections.
As a reminder, Finding Aids act as a table of contents for our collections. These aids help you find information about specific collections we have, and the information contained in the collections. We create these aids so it’s easier for researchers to figure out if collection is relevant to their work.
The strengths of our collections include Wyoming and the American West, politics and public policy, ranching and energy, entertainment and popular culture, industry, transportation, and military history. The documents and archives we hold serve as raw data for scholarship and heritage work, and support thriving communities of place, identity, and interest in Wyoming and beyond.
Finding Aid Updates (from processed collections completed in January 2020)
H. Norman Snively. Snively was a petroleum geologist and geological consultant who worked for Standard Oil Company of California from 1916-1917, exploring the Ranglely Field in Colorado and the Lance Creek Field in Wyoming. In 1918 he worked in the Lost Soldier, Wyoming, District for General Petroleum Corporation. He was the regional geologist for Union Oil Company from 1920-1921, working in Montana and Wyoming. Later he worked as an independent consultant in Wyoming, Montana, and other areas of the United States and Canada. Snively’s papers contain correspondence (1913-1959), diaries (1908-1918), and geological maps and reports on various oil fields in California and the Rocky Mountain states.
University of Wyoming College of Business. The School of Commerce, now known as the College of Business, was created in 1887. From 1900 to 1909, the school was known as the Wyoming State School of Commerce. In 1917 it became a division of the College of Liberal Arts. In 1947 the division became the College of Commerce and Industry, including the accounting, business administration, secretarial sciences, and statistics departments. The name was changed to the College of Business in 1991. The collection consists of general correspondence, bank journals, ledgers, project surveys, scrapbooks, and history about the College’s activities, management, and programs. It also contains documents related to the Air Force Institute of Technology Minuteman Education Program that offered an MBA at Francis E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, from the 1960s to the 1980s.
Wyoming State Bar. The Wyoming State Bar was organized in 1915 as a voluntary association and was integrated by the state legislature in 1939. It was established under the authority of the Wyoming Supreme Court to assist in the regulation and improvement of the profession. Its formally stated purpose is to assist and require attorneys to have high standards of integrity, competence, public service and conduct in order to promote the effective administration of justice. The records contain minutes from the Bar’s annual meetings, disciplinary files, membership lists, and various committees formed to address legal issues. Correspondence contains letters and memos from the Bar to its members and other legal organizations.
These and other AHC collections can be discovered in the University of Wyoming Libraries catalog. We are open for walk-in research on Mondays 10 am – 7 pm and Tuesdays through Fridays 8 am – 5 pm. For distance research assistance please contact our reference department at email@example.com or 307-766-3756.